Saturday, July 19, 2014

I am thankful for pain... here is why you should be too!

The video above is about a young lady that reminds us that "pain is one of life's greatest gifts." This case scenario challenges our preconceived notions of pain. In a world of prescription pain killers, serious stress reducers, numbing substances of all kinds, and an overall sense to rid ourselves of anything that would cause us harm; it is almost counter-intuitive to embrace the idea of pain and it's benefits.

No matter what you are going through... whether your circumstances are uncomfortable, cumbersome, hurtful, or even excruciatingly painful; there is something in that pain and discomfort for which you should be thankful.

Whether it is emotional hurt, physical pain, mental fatigue, relational and social stress, psychological discomfort; there is reason to be joyful. You see, it is all a matter of perspective. As in the video, pain is a key to living. Pain lets us know we are alive. Pain allows us to protect ourselves. It shows us when enough is enough and when to rest. It is simply human. We are living fully in our humanness when we experience hurt and pain.

Now, I am not a masochist, but I do know what it feels like to be hurt. I understand the problems of pain. I have undergone stressful situations. I have endured uncomfortable periods of my life. If I am honest, I did not like nor enjoy any of those periods. However, I can look back and see the purpose for those times and how the pain and even suffering at points allowed me to grow, learn, benefit, and ultimately LIVE!

Here is the challenge to us all: next time you are going through a tough time, a low point, a challenging circumstance, a stressful situation, or a painful period of life; think of the ways you can be thankful. How can you endure that time of your life with gratitude?

What do you say? Do you agree? Are you thankful for pain?


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's not the "Moment of Silence" right now... somebody leave a comment and get the conversation started!!